We all know how sometimes it feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day. Between work itself, travel, and your home life. It can feel like you don’t have the time to keep on top of the cleaning as well. But it is so important, especially these days, to make sure that your office is not only clean but disinfected regularly too.
Having an untidy workplace can actually make your employees less productive. And make it harder to find what you need when you need it. Having a dirty office, on the other hand, can have far bigger repercussions. If you don’t minimise the germs and dirt in your workplace you will soon end up with bad smells, unpleasant, grimy surfaces, and even ill employees and visitors.
Sure there is no law about it but it is great to know how often you should properly clean your workspace. Whether cleaning, sanitising, or disinfecting is the right way to go, and if it is something you can do yourself. Here we will give you a few tips to keep your office tidy, and when and why it should be thoroughly cleaned.
How do you keep your office clean and organized?
Cleaning and organising your workplace on a day-to-day basis is all about planning. Arrange everything in the right way, have a routine, and stick to it, and you should be fine. How you like to sort your own office is up to you, but here are a few general tips to start:
- Make use of your wall space – having too much stuff on the floor can quickly make any space look messy and disorganised. Try putting in shelves or units and using these instead.
- Label – it is a classic but it really does work. Label everything, and make it clear where each item belongs. Follow the labels and put them back each time.
- Scan in all documents – there are many reasons why it makes sense to have digital files. If you are looking to save space in the office, it makes sense to get scanning all your documents today.
- Keep your food and drink out of the office – crumbs, tea spills, and coffee rings all contribute to a dirty office. Having a separate room to consume drinks and food can make a huge difference.
- Leave everything as you find it – take a few extra seconds to wipe and clean your own desk. Bring the rubbish with you as you head outside. These steps can help you keep the office clean and tidy without feeling like a chore.
- De-clutter – having more things around you can make it feel untidy. Think about whether you actually need everything you have on your desk or in your office, if don’t, better get rid of it.
These are just a few of the top ideas for keeping your workplace clean and tidy. There are so many ways you can keep on top of the daily mess in your office. So, give some of these ideas a try and see how quickly your space will feel cleaner and more organised.
How often should a workplace be cleaning and disinfecting?
Now that we’ve looked at the usual tidying and cleaning that can be done each day. It is important to realise that this isn’t enough to actually keep your workplace clean. To fully protect your employees and make sure they are working in a safe and pleasant environment, it is essential that your office be disinfected regularly. The best way to ensure this is to use a professional office cleaning service that can do a superior job and save you time and energy.
When it comes to deciding how often your workplace needs to be disinfected, you have to take several factors into account. A smaller office may need cleaning less than a larger one. But if it is small and yet crowded then it would need to be done more often.
Is there a high volume of visitors bringing dirt and germs into the workplace? Then disinfecting it three times a week or more should be required. If there is little foot traffic, once a week or even two weeks may suffice. It all depends on your workplace, and how clean, fresh, and healthy you want to make it.
What’s the difference between disinfecting and sanitizing?
Many people think that cleaning, sanitising, and disinfecting all mean the same. They don’t. They are actually more of a spectrum. As cleaning is the lightest and least effective means of killing germs. Disinfecting is more effective in the work. If you think that cleaning alone is enough to keep your office safe and a good environment for your employees, then think again.
Cleaning removes dirt, grime, pest, and germs from the surface, but that’s it. It doesn’t necessarily kill them. Sanitising removes and kills lots of germs and dirt, but disinfecting does the best job. Having your office properly disinfected regularly is the only real way to guarantee that it is thoroughly cleaned and gives you peace of mind as well.
Whilst you can, of course, disinfect your own workplace by yourself. It can be time-consuming, and expensive to get all of the equipment and eat into your valuable free time. Using a professional company like Enjoy Life Services lets you go home after work safe in the knowledge that your office is spotless, disinfected, and a healthy place to work in.
Cleanliness and organisation at the office are absolutely essential to the well-being of your employees. Follow our tips or make up your own rules for dealing with the day-to-day dirt. Also, have your workplace professionally disinfected regularly to take care of the germs that cleaning alone won’t.